Trimming down the trip

Northampton marks the point furthest east on this trip. Originally (if you read back far enough) I had intended to also stop in Boston, and then head north through Eastern Canada--Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Moncton NB, and finally Halifax. But that's not happening, and now I will head back west from here.

Why am I shortening this over-ambitious trip? Well, I half-answered the question in the question. This trip was over-ambitious. I knew in the back of my head that I didn't have enough money to pull it all off, but I figured I would try as best as I could. I knew I would be making some dough on the road, so I aimed high. Fortunately, I got all the way to New England, and I have enough dough to get back home. Just enough.

And the trip is starting to grow long. I've been on the road for six weeks now, and when it's all done, it will be a full two months of trippin'. If I did my whole Eastern Canada segment, I wouldn't get back to Portland until the second week of November or so. I'm starting to lose energy, which isn't fun when you're constantly moving around. That's partially why I spent over a week in Connecticut, and am spending four days in Northampton. My lack of energy is starting to show. I haven't been "the life of the party" hanging out with Anne, and that sucks when it's someone you haven't seen for over two years.

To drive the point home, there are some important things I need to deal with in Portland by the end of October. Yes, real world responsibilities are creeping up. It will be good to get back to town and get back in the mix.

But the trip isn't totally over. I head back west, but go to Vancouver first for the weekend of the 15th. Canzine Vancouver is happening, a big-up zine show, and I will be representin' myself and the Microcosm. So what if I started my big trip there? I like the town, and like the people in the town. And it's still the Northwest (I'm missing the big trees big time). I'll also stop in Seattle, and be back in Portland around the 21st.

I am disappointed that I won't be going to Montreal, Toronto, or Halifax. I love the first two and looked forward to checking out the last one. But what can I do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Fires and Floods: Ansonia CT 06401

Winding Down...

Are you still here? That's cool!